Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yes! This is all about me!

I got to spend some time on the phone mentoring my mentor this morning.

This lady is a business whiz and one of the most successful women I know, so I was honored to be able to give her some advice that she could use as she is usually the one pouring her wisdom into me!

It had been a while since she and I have had a chance to chat so our conversation was all over the place. Like most women, one thing we got into was weight loss and stress.

I found myself talking about my time in the gym and how it had really changed my life. Not because of the muscle I'm gaining or the fat I'm burning but because I'm taking an hour every day just for me! Just for me! No one else! It's my time!

At first I felt really guilty about it. I mean my schedule is already crazy hectic with work, my business, my church, my family, etc and most of the time there just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. Going to the gym every day after work means I don't get home until 6:00 pm or later and dinner's not done sometimes until after 8:00 pm. Sometimes, I go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink (please don't tell the FlyLady).

But... 

I feel so good! When I'm home, my mind is clear, my attention is more focused on my family and I don't feel like everyone else is sucking me dry.

Yes, I admit it, I have felt animosity towards my family and friends because they always needed something from me! Some days I just wanted to scream "WHAT ABOUT ME?"! Now you all know I have the dearest family and friends and this was never their intention or their fault. I was putting the pressure on myself.

For two or three years now I've heard people like Staci Wallace talk about "securing your own mask" but it wasn't until I was sharing this with my mentor this morning that I realized that's exactly what my gym time is for me - "securing my own mask".

Being successful takes time, it takes energy and it often takes your focus off of something very important - YOU!

Today I want to challenge you to find something to call "yours". Take time for yourself and don't feel guilty about it! Everyone that depends on you will reap the benefits! You deserve it and so do they!

The gym is my "thing" right now - what is your "thing"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!