Thursday, July 21, 2011

Breakfast...

... don't skip it

We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  You don't need me to tell you that.  Even knowing this, I meet people all the time that do not eat breakfast.  I used to be one of them. "I just don't feel like it when I wake up in the morning", that was always my excuse.  "I don't have time" is another excuse I hear a lot.

I started eating breakfast every day over 2 years ago and I know it has contributed to my successful weight loss and maintenance.  I no longer skip breakfast, even when "I don't feel like it".

Here's what I've learned about breakfast.

1. It gives you energy to start the day.
2. It helps lower your risk for obesity and diabetes.
3. It increases your metabolism.

That's right!! According to MSNBC Health, eating breakfast can increase your metabolism by as much as 10 percent.  Here's what happens.  When you go to sleep at night, your metabolism slows down because you don't need as much energy.  When you wake up, your metabolism speeds up again, but it cannot sustain the higher level for long without the nutrients and energy found in a good, healthy breakfast.

When your metabolism is boosted, you burn more calories naturally throughout the day and are less likely to gain weight.  Often times people skip breakfast because they "don't feel like it" or because they want to save those calories for larger meals later.  This is a huge mistake. Skipping breakfast makes you more susceptible to unhealthy mid-morning snaking or over eating at lunch.

Keep your breakfast around 250 calories to maintain your weight or for weight loss.  Just because it's the most important meal doesn't mean it should be the biggest. Here are a few healthy suggestions around 250 calories*:

1. whole-wheat English muffin, topped with a wedge of light Swiss spreadable cheese and 1/2 tbsp. of all-fruit preserves, served with one slice of turkey bacon (microwaved), and  skim milk.
2. 3/4 cup of oatmeal (cooked in water), 2 tbsp. of raisins, 1 tsp. of packed brown sugar, 1 tbsp. of chopped walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon or other sweet spice. Serve with 8 oz. of diet cranberry juice cocktail.
3. a southwest omelet made with egg whites, beans, onions, cheese, and salsa.

Of course, my personal favorite for breakfast is a Body FX shake and an apple. I'm usually running late, so this is fast and easy and I can take it right out the door and have it on my way to work. The Body FX  is the perfect combination of complex carbs, protein and essential fatty acids and the apple gives my body enzymes it needs to help digest my food throughout the day.

*These recommendations are made solely based on calorie, carb and fat content.  They do not take into consideration blood sugar, pH or cleansing properties which are the keys to the Suddenly Slim program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!