I love strawberries and have them just about every morning at breakfast. Not only are they yummy, here are 7 other reasons to love them!
1. Antioxidants - Antioxidants protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are produced when your body breaks down food or is exposed to environmental hazards like smoke, radiation, etc. Free radicals damage cells, and may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases, including wrinkles (not a disease I know but still...).
2. Anti-inflammatory - Strawberries have phenols which ﬁght against many inﬂammatory disorders, such as osteoarthritis, asthma and atherosclerosis, similar to the way that aspirin and ibuprofen do but without unwanted side effects like stomach and intestinal bleeding you get from excessive use of pain relievers.
3. Combat Cancer - Free radicals and inflammation are at the root of most cancer. The combination of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties of strawberries are a good line of defense in preventing some cancers! (1+2=3)
4. Healthy peepers - This is an important one for me because I'm blind as a bat and macular degeneration runs in my family. The Archives of Ophthalmology recently published a study saying that three or more servings of strawberries per day can decrease the possibility of contracting age-related macular degeneration by over one-third. I think 3 servings of strawbereris is a lot when you consider the sugar and would recommend you incorporate some of these other healthy-eye foods to defend against macular degeneration: kale, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, eggs, sunflower seeds, salmon and garlic)
5. Fiber - 1 cup of strawberries has 3 grams of fiber and only 45 calories. Fiber aids in healthy digestion, helps control blood pressure and helps prevent overeating.
6. Vitamin C - 1 cup of strawberries has about 90 mg of Vitamin C, another powerful antioxidant that can help lower blood pressure, build up the immune system, and prevent eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts.
7. Bone building - Strawberries also contain potassium, magnesium, manganese, and Vitamin K, all of which are important for building healthy and strong bones.
So, come out to the Strawberry Festival and see us or go to your local farmers' market and pick up some fresh, sweet strawberries!