Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm freezing...

... that's NEAT!

Last week the temperature in our office dropped tremendously, averaging around 64 degrees. Now, for this true Florida girl, that's freezing!

Today it seems worse than ever and I am literally so cold I cannot sit still.

Earlier this morning I had to report to my team that I only completed 2 of the 3 hours of exercise we were challenged to do this week. So I started wondering if all this fidgeting and shivering could be considered exercise! ;) Now I know that's stretching it a little and I would never honestly report it as such, but I did some research and found that you do burn calories when your cold.

When you get cold, your muscles involuntarily tense and then relax to warm your body. When shivering, you can burn up to 400 calories per hour, according to the website That's Fit.

This whole concept is called Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis! Isn't that NEAT?! Other NEAT activities include shoveling snow, taking the stairs, washing dishes, sweeping and mopping, and changing the TV channels without the remote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!