Sunday, November 21, 2010

Entertaining angels...

...unaware

Don't you just love a lazy Sunday afternoon? That's exactly what Jason and I had planned for today. We planned it all out as we were getting ready for church this morning. We were going to church, grab a bite to eat on the way home and then a nap, a real nap, in our bed, not just the typical Sunday afternoon lounging and dozing in the living room.

Ahhh... I could barely wait! The fun and excitement of the 12 hour social media boot camp I conducted yesterday wore me out!

We entered the church service and found our seats, me in the third row and Jason in the choir, typical Sunday morning. There were a few folks from nearby neighborhoods who I was especially excited to see. Someday I'll share more about them, but just know that I am witnessing the power of God's love through our church in the lives of some very special people.

As the offering is about to be taken up, I hear a familiar but unexpected sound come from the choir. Did he really just do that? Did my husband just whistle as if calling the dog to get my attention during the offering? Yes, as a matter of fact, that short "ssssrrrrit" was my husband calling. As I looked up from my purse, he was waiving the offering envelope at me. Seriously, I'm not joking. It was shortly after this that our afternoon plans were changed.

Just after the whistling incident, my husband started talking to the pastor's husband and then the pastor, (yes, during the service, as the offering was being collected and yes, I said pastor's husband). If you know Jason, you know this is somewhat out of character for him. Oh wait, here he comes, down out of the choir and starts talking to me.

You see, a stranger on the back pew had caught his attention as he got up and walked out of the church. For whatever reason, my sweet husband who usually keeps to himself, and is very well mannered in church was moved to follow the man out of church during the offering.

Turns out, he came to church on his bicycle in order to "keep his word". He's just passing through with no place to be, but needs a few bucks and a place to stay. Jason and I were blessed to be able to give him ride to the next town over and put him up in a motel for the night. Our lazy Sunday afternoon plans changed by a rambling stranger, but all the while all I could think of was Hebrews 13:2 which I had heard David Jeremiah talk about early in the week on my way to work:

"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."

Miles to destination ... 20
Hotel for one night ... $40
Entertaining Angels ... Priceless


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!