Friday, February 19, 2010

40 Days of Water

...no ark required

No coffee, no tea, no Coke Zero for me.

As the season of Lent approached, I began thinking about my annual sacrifice. I was somewhat familiar with Blood:Water Mission because I had heard about it on the radio, I think I was mostly intrigued by the water challenge and knew it would be sacrificial for me because I do enjoy my coffee, tea and Coke Zero daily. I also like the fact that the challenge falls in line with the lenten season. Though I'm not Catholic and never practiced giving up anything as a child, I do like this tradition and have practiced it for the past several years.

I appreciate that there is a season for which I can make a sacrifice and use it to draw nearer to Jesus Christ. Of course just giving up water does not draw me nearer to Him. It is recognizing that I do not need the other beverages and that He alone provides for my every need that draws me nearer to Him. I like this challenge because I have the opportunity to give back as a result of giving up.

I am to drink only tap water for 40 days (Feb 17-April 3, excluding Sundays). For someone who is spoiled like me, this seems like a sacrifice. For our brothers and sisters in Uganda who will benefit from my contribution, tap water is a luxury that they do not have. They may walk miles to their nearest water source and even then, it is dirty, parasite infested water.

Three days into my "sacrifice", now and already I've passed up 12 beverages and pledged more than twelve dollars. With each glass of water, I am reminded of the ultimate sacrifice that was made for me all those years ago, when my Lord gave his life so that I may come to know Him and have eternal life.

And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again. -2 Corinthians 5:15

Join me on this journey:
  • MAKE WATER YOUR ONLY BEVERAGE FOR 40 DAYS.
  • KEEP TRACK AND SAVE THE MONEY YOU WOULD HAVE SPENT.
  • AT THE END OF 40 DAYS DONATE WHAT YOU SAVED TO SUPPORT WATER PROJECTS IN UGANDA.
Follow my progress here.

1 comment:

  1. thanks, Amy, for joining us on the 40 Days of Water. We are encouraged by your story - we look forward to the change we experience as we provide clean water through this simple act.
    Best wishes, from your friends at Blood:Water Mission
    Mike Lenda
    US Programs Director

    ReplyDelete

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!