Monday, January 7, 2013

Is the Biggest Loser setting you up to fail?

I attempted to watch my first ever full episode of the Biggest Loser last night. I tuned in to see if I could pick up some motivational tips for our upcoming 2013 90-Day Ultimate Body Challenge and because I saw a lot of buzz about it amongst friends and clients on Facebook. Of course, I knew the concept of the show, but have never seen a full episode, and I still haven't since I fell asleep after the first hour last night.  (Don't they know about how sleep affects weight loss?)

I was amazed at what they had those people doing. 5 mph on the treadmill at 440 lbs! That's crazy! And the puke buckets? What?! My pastor would call that "insanitation" (insanely nasty).

I know the results of these types of shows are amazing with hundreds of pounds lost and lives changed forever! But I started thinking this morning, after reading some negative comments on how unrealistic the show is for the average person in the battle against obesity... "does this show give people unrealistic expectations of themselves?"

I don't think a "realistic" person is going to watch the show and expect that they can do the same thing on their own.  I do think the show can be a great educational and motivational tool for people struggling with weight loss.

Here's what you need to know:
What do you think of the Biggest Loser?  Love it?  Hate it?  How about Jillian?  Does she motivate you or make you mad?  Please add your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us:

Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!Follow Me On Twitter!